(krŏn'ĭ-kəl) n. An extended account in prose or verse of historical events, sometimes including legendary material, presented in chronological order and without authorial interpretation or comment. A detailed narrative record or report.

Thursday 9 February 2012

IN CHRIST ALONE

November 28, 2007

Just yesterday night, I was up until 11 pm, I juts don’t feel like sleeping and so I read one chapter of the Church Discipline, and then read a few entries of my journal.

The weather was not good, the wind blew hard, and you can hear from our house the howling noise of the waves from the sea, hundreds of meters away from us. but, we are all comfortably, sitting/ watching/sleeping in our cozy house.

After reading, I lighted off my room, knelt down and pray to God for another day He has bestowed upon us. I also uttered, that though we have no idea what’s going to happen, I know that He holds the future in the palm of His hands, He has complete control over the raging winds and the big waves. He protects us and shields us. I have complete peace knowing that Christ is by my side, and before I’ve uttered my amen, heard my door opened, and an alarmed voice of my mom said “Joan, wag ka muna matulog, may bantang malaking tidal wave at lindol sa atin”.  I heard it, I heard it! But I was praying to God! I was just talking to Him about “peace” then goes my mom with a bothering news!

So, I uttered my AMEN, got on my bed, and closed my eyes. It wasn’t long before mom again entered into my room and with a panicked voice she said “Joan, bumangon ka na! mag-impake ka na. may tidal wave na tatama dito!” Realizing na may malaking tidal wave or tsunami ang pwedeng bumangga sa amin, may “peace” somehow became a “trouble”. My mom is really bothered and worried as to what may happen to us. who wouldn’t???

Outside, there were lots of going to and fro vehicles, and you can also hear shouts of worried, afraid, people. My mother told us that many have gone off to their homes, evacuated to a safe place (wherever that is) in fear of a BIG TIDAL WAVE may hit us. some people, patrolled at the beach, and announced that the waves are getting bigger and bigger, the waves were already at the Capitol (that was 500 meters away from the shore line. And everybody’s afraid, really afraid!
It was about 12 am when we packed our things and the funny thing is that I got hold first of my “cell phone” (nakakahiya! But true!) our life is at stake and first instinct to hold on is my cp! Napailing na lang ako, when I realized what I am holding at (some faith huh?)

I got my bag, well, it’s not that BIG, the once I have was a shoulder bag, then I searched on my Bible, a borrowed book from guru (realizing, that if there is a bad thing going to happen, at least maibabalik ko pa yung pinahiram nia!). a floppy disk (for what??? Hmmm... andun kasi mga files for C.I…), my wallet (which I have little money), I was thinking of putting jewelries, you know just in case (para pag walang pera, may pansala?? Hahaa…) but I changed my mind, our atms… hindi ko naman pwedeng dalhin lahat ng aklat ko. So, as I finished putting these things in my bag, I had a last glance at my room, realizing that if it will hit us, then “all”, ALL these things, ALL I possess, ALL I called my own, would be gone, just like that, they will ALL BE GOOD AS TRASH.

But still, I have that hope, na babalikan ko pa din ang room kong ganun pa din. So, I went downstairs, and we waited… oh we waited. In fact, sa kakaantay namin, we just watched TV if there were any news regarding on the state of our province, most specially to our place, Lingayen, but there was none. So I kept on changing the channel, hoping to find one while waiting.  And waiting became sleeping, it was about 2 am.

I have whispered a little prayer to God, that He would give us “peace” again, in times such as these, knowing and believing that He is ABOVE ALL THINGS, That He would be merciful to us. knowing these truths have led us to peaceful sleep despite of the raging winds and the ominous catastrophe.

An hour later, my mom said we could go upstairs to sleep for good. Even though they/we were still troubled, we TRUSTED on God.

So what have I realized in this troubling situation?

-       First, I realized that all these things, all the beautiful houses, clothes, shoes, material things, don’t mater when we speak of life and death. When we know that death is coming after you, you can only hold on to the promises of God, through His Word. Yes, I do admit, that I was wrong, when I got hold the material things, but I realized when I got hold of my Bible, I told myself, all of my hopes, my trust is in His Words, and I  should always remember His promises. I can’t just leave it behind. When our life here on earth would end, and pwede lang nating makapitan ay Siya at ang Kanyang TAPAT NA SALITA. He said I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU…” I believe that even in the worst scenarios, even in great earthquakes or typhoon would come across us… GOD IS WITH US!

-       Second, I realized that when God is with you, even though you have troubles, when you pray and ask, He would surely hear you, I loved to see my little sister, wala siyang kamalay-malay sa mga nangyayari and maybe that’s what God wants us to so- to just be innocent and trusting. I wouldn’t blame my mother if she worried that much, she is a mother after all, but I believe that despite of her worries, she believed that God would save us still. I wonder how many prayers were uttered to God that particular night…

-       Third, I realized, that God is an awesome God! Yes, there were typhoons, raging winds, possibilities that we could all be wiped away, but then GOD IS ALWAYS GOD. HE CONTROLS ALL THINGS. HE KNOWS, HE CARES. HE WATCHES, HE GUIDES. It’s pretty humbling and amazing to know that though God send forth those calamities, He is ALWAYS THERE TO PROTECT US. We cannot comprehend the vastness of His marvelous power, but God wants us to TRUST and OBEY on His perfect will.

Many of us can’t’ seem to trust that everything is going to be to okay, though all you see, all you hear, all you know is tragedy, that everything is not ok! Many of us cry for God in times of distress, in times  like these, but many of us forget God, when we are in a very comfortable place.

Again, this is nothing, what happened to us, compared to what happened, thousands of years ago, in times of Noah, of Abraham, of Moses, of Job…

When God gives calamities, He wanted to tell us that HE IS THE CREATOR OF ALL THINGS. He sent forth signals, that we are NOTHING WITHOUT HIM. and though, there are billions of people all around the world, it is humbling to know, that God looks down, and cares for such as I, for someone like me, you, us. He cares for the littlest details in our life. He hears even the smallest and faintest prayer that we can offer. He knows our deepest fear, our longings our cries, our doubts. He gives abundant grace, mercy and love.

He is ALWAYS OUR HOPE, OUR ROCK that we can lay our foundation upon.



Jesus, hope of the nations
Jesus, comfort for all who mourn
You are the source of Heaven’s hope on earth
Jesus, light in the darkness
Jesus, truth in each circumstance
You are the source of Heaven’s light on earth

In history You lived and died
You broke the chains You rose to life

CHORUS

You are the hope living in us
You are the rock in whom we trust
You are the light shining for all the world to see
You rose from the dead conquering fear
Our Prince of Peace drawing us near
Jesus our hope living for all who will receive
You rose from the dead, conquering fear
Our prince of peace drawing us near
You are the light living for all who would believe
Lord we believe!

I woke up at around 9 am. I was at peace. And as I looked at the bright blue sky, and gentle breeze of the wind, the storm had passed; I bowed my head and prayed again unto my Lord and my God for another day, another life.
Our faith is in the Name of the Lord.
Our hope is the Name of the Lord
Our trust is in the Name of the Lord
In Christ, my Saviour alone…

0 comments:

Post a Comment