(krŏn'ĭ-kəl) n. An extended account in prose or verse of historical events, sometimes including legendary material, presented in chronological order and without authorial interpretation or comment. A detailed narrative record or report.

Tuesday 24 November 2015

LIFE WITH GOD

September 22, 2011
6:00 pm

Psalm 23
English Standard Version (ESV)
The Lord Is My Shepherd
A Psalm of David.
23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.[a]
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness[
b]
    for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,[c]
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely[
d] goodness and mercy[e] shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell[
f] in the house of the Lord
     forever.[
g]

Psalm 22

English Standard Version (ESV)

Why Have You Forsaken Me?

To the choirmaster: according to The Doe of the Dawn. A Psalm of David.

22  My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
    and by night, but I find no rest.
Yet you are holy,
     enthroned on the praises[
a] of Israel.
In you our fathers trusted;
    they trusted, and you delivered them.
To you they cried and were rescued;
    in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
But I am a worm and not a man,
     scorned by mankind and despised by the people.
All who see me mock me;
    they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;
“He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him;
    let him rescue him, for he delights in him!”
Yet you are he who took me from the womb;
    you made me trust you at my mother's breasts.
10 On you was I cast from my birth,
    and from my mother's womb you have been my God.
11 Be not far from me,
    for trouble is near,
    and there is none to help.

Psalm 23 models childlike faith;Psalm 22 models fidelity, a deeper, more mysterious kind of faith. Life with God may include both. We may experience times of unusual closeness. When every prayer is answered in an obvious way and God seems intimates and caring. And we may also experience “fog times”, when God stays silent, when nothing works according to formula and all the Bible’s promises seem glaringly false.Fidelity involves learning to trust that out beyond the perimeters of fog, God still reigns, and has not abandoned us no matter how it may appear.

-       PHILIP YANCEY

0 comments:

Post a Comment